n-Butanol is a clear, mobile, neutral liquid with a characteristic odour. It is miscible with all common solvents, e. g. alcohols, ketones, aldehydes, ethers, glycols, and aromatic and aliphatic hydrocarbons.
• Solvent for dyes in printing inks
• Extractant in the production of drugs and natural substances such as antibiotics, hormones, vitamins, alkaloids and camphor
• Additive in polishes and cleaners, such as floor cleaners and stain removers
• Solubilizer in the textile industry, for example an additive in spinning baths or carrier for colouring plastics
• Additive in de-icing fluids
• Additive in gasoline for spark-ignition engines
• Mobile phase in paper and thin-layer chromatography
• Humectant for cellulose nitrate
• Feedstock for the production of glycol ethers (in reaction with ethylene or propylene oxide)
• Starting material for various butyl monocarboxylates, such as butyl acetate and butyl butyrate
Please note: We are unable to sell chemicals to members of the public.