Sodium nitrite is recognised as a solid powder that is white in colour, also available as a light-yellow liquid.
While similar in name, it is important to note that this product differs from sodium nitrate — nitrates are made up of one nitrogen atom and three oxygen atoms. Nitrites, like this, consist of one nitrogen atom and two oxygen atoms.
• An effective corrosion inhibitor and is used as an additive in industrial greases.
• In the textile industry as a bleaching agent.
• It may also be used as an electrolyte in electrochemical grinding manufacturing processes.
• In the rubber industry as a polymer inhibitor and as a foam rubber blowing agent
• Food additive giving taste and colour to the meat and inhibit lipid oxidation that leads to rancidity.
• Inhibition of microbial growth and well known for its role in inhibiting the growth of clostridium botulinum spores in refrigerated meats.
• Medicine – used as part of an intravenous mixture to treat cyanide poisoning.
Please note: We are unable to sell chemicals to members of the public.