Sodium nitrite is an inorganic compound and high-soluble sodium salt with the formula NaNO2. As a solid, it is a white powder. As a liquid, it is a light-yellow solution available in a number of strengths.
It is commonly used as a reagent in the industrial production of organonitrogen compounds. It is used as a starting point for the manufacture of pharmaceuticals and is a key component in the production of azo dyes for textiles applications.
It is also widely applied as a food additive with the E number E250, particularly for curing and preservation of meat products.
• Speeds up curing, enhances taste, inhibits microbial growth and imparts colouring on meat
• Corrosion inhibition in equipment
• Additive in industrial greases, hydraulic fluids and lubricants
• In producing dyes, emulsion paints and colouring linens
• Precursor for synthesis of certain pharmaceuticals and organic compounds
• As part of an intravenous mixture to treat severe cyanide poisoning
• Production of organonitrogen compounds
• Electrolyte in electrochemical grinding manufacturing processes
• Polymer inhibitor in rubber industry
• Foam rubber blowing agent
• Antimicrobial in fertilisers, herbicides and insecticides
• Corrosion inhibition in heating and cooling systems
• Reduces nitrate levels in wastewater environments
• In cold phosphating and descaling and detinning steel and iron
• Additive in production of steel and aluminium alloys
• Corrosion inhibition on metal surfaces
• An additive in the concrete manufacture
Looking to bulk buy sodium nitrite? As an award-winning manufacturer and supplier with over 50 years’ experience, state-of-the-art facilities and privately-owned distribution capabilities, we are perfectly placed to meet any requirement.
Please note: We are unable to sell chemicals to members of the public.